800.443.8987 ♦ orders@eglomisedesigns.com ♦ Go to our Facebook page for announcements and new schools.

Penn State Hazleton

Penn State Hazleton's origins trace back to 1934 during the depths of the Great Depression. Since this was a time when many people could not afford to go to college, the college came to the people. At the request of Hazleton's community leaders, a community survey was completed by the Pennsylvania State College's extension services to determine the actual extent of the need and community support for a center. Hazleton was one of 14 communities to request a center, and only four requests were fulfilled. In September 1934, the Hazleton Undergraduate Center opened with 47 full-time and 60 part-time evening students. The freshman and sophomore students began their studies in Hazleton and completed their degree at Penn State's University Park campus in State College or another institution.

Over the next several years, the center was housed in various locations—first in the upper floors of the Markle Bank Building on Broad and Wyoming Streets, then in the former Broad Street School. To accommodate the influx of men and women returning from service in World War II, additional space was leased in the A.D. Thomas Elementary School and the former Walnut Street School.

A permanent home came in December 1948 when the college purchased 26 hilltop acres (110,000 m2) in Sugarloaf Township which, for nearly 25 years, had served as the residential estate of local coal baron Eckley B. Markle. Known as “Highacres,” the site consisted of four buildings that gave the college the space it so desperately needed. The estate, built by Alvan Markle Sr., featured a 32-room fieldstone mansion with every modern convenience available at the time, as well as domestic staff quarters, a greenhouse, and five formal gardens. Markle’s mansion quickly became the administration building and, at various times during its life, has housed offices, classrooms, the library, health services, a kitchen, and a dining room. The domestic staff's quarters were transformed into the library, dormitory and infirmary. The greenhouse became the botany laboratory, and a new building, known today as Laurel Cottage, served as the chemistry laboratory.[3] Over the years, many new facilities were added to Penn State Hazleton.

Today, the administration building is the most recognized Penn State Hazleton structure, serving as one of the symbols of the campus. Recently, the island in the semi-circular driveway became the home to another Penn State icon - the Nittany Lion statue, a three-fourth’s scale replica of the original at University Park.

Reminiscent of the French églomisé style, our Traditional scenes offer a most distinctive and professional gift of luxury.  Well suited for display in either home or office, they are a source of pride for both sender and receiver.  The paperweight, most glass products and “mini” products feature school color trim.  Mirrors and pictures are ready to hang.  Boxes include quality brass fittings.  Proudly made in America since 1965.





Related Items